We know that crowds turned out in record numbers to snatch up bargains on Black Friday. But many of those shoppers were seeking something beyond just a good sale—they were looking for the peace of mind that comes with knowing you can protect yourself.
“People wanna defend themselves and their family,” said Jeanelle Westrom, owner of Davenport Guns in Iowa. “They don’t want anything to happen to their children.” As one of her shop’s customers noted, “Having a weapon in the house does give you some confidence that you can put up a fight and you can make it.”
Enough shoppers shared that sentiment to make Black Friday the single-largest day for firearm background checks in history. “Black Friday sales on guns, gun accessories and ammunition were the strongest we’ve seen in our 77-year history,” said Ryan Repp, communications manager for Brownells. “Sales started off first thing Thanksgiving morning, actually, and continued at a record pace through Cyber Monday.”
Smith & Wesson CEO Predicts Continued Strong Gun Sales
Despite doom and gloom from naysayers concerning firearm sales, Smith & Wesson CEO James Debney is predicting that the gun maker will continue to see healthy sales, noting that they expect “single-digit to ... high-single digit” growth in coming months. “We see what’s shaping up to be a good environment at retail,” Debney said during the company's fiscal second-quarter earnings conference call this week, CNBC reports.
In contrast to the past eight years, in which demand for firearms spiked whenever President Barack Obama and fellow Democrats pushed gun control, Debney said the future outlook is for a “normalized environment” without such dramatic swings. “That's really the environment where we can take market share and continue to grow,” he said.
Of particular note, he explained, is recent expansion in some segments of the firearm market. “Many more women than ever before are taking an interest in the shooting sports,” Debney said. “We are excited about the future. The firearms business remains strong.”
Dissed By Guinness, 1000-Man Shoot Recognized By World Record Academy
On Nov. 14, 1,000 pro-Second Amendment advocates gathered in Phoenix, Ariz., for the 1000-Man Shoot. Their goal was to break the record for greatest number of people to simultaneously fire two shots, and, after distributing the .22-caliber Henry Golden Boy Silver rifles and lining up the participants, the event went off seamlessly.
Due to the organizers’ meticulous documentation, NRA and event sponsor Henry Rifles believed that Guinness would add the event to its Book of World Records. But in a shocking statement from the organization, the group claimed that since they don’t “monitor mass participation records that … increase the danger posed to the general public or environment,” the record wouldn’t be recognized.
Luckily, however, not every record-keeping organization is biased against the safe practice of the Second Amendment. The World Record Academy, launched in 2007 as the world’s first major competitor of Guinness World Records, has added the event to its massive database of records—ensuring that both participants and sponsors would be granted their rightful place in the record books.
We told you earlier this you year about how Hawaii became the first state to begin using FBI’s “Rap Back” system, touted as the “world’s largest and most efficient electronic repository of biometric and criminal history information,” as a backdoor gun registration scheme.
Now the Honolulu Police Department has announced that the firearm permit application fee there has jumped to $42.
Under SB 2954, which was signed into law last June, the existing registration requirement was expanded and law-abiding Hawaii gun owners, and visitors, are now entered into the federal “Rap Back” system, which is a biometric database managed by the FBI for continuous monitoring. We’ll keep you posted as further information becomes available.
Armed FL Man Attacks Ex-Girlfriend, Is Shot By Her New Boyfriend
When an ex-boyfriend paid a visit to his former girlfriend, he was armed and angry. What he didn’t anticipate was finding her new boyfriend, armed and ready.
Investigators told Jacksonville.com that 28-year-old Kelvin La’Sean Brown started pounding on the front door of his former partner’s apartment Saturday at about 2 a.m., demanding entry. Moments later, Brown forced his way through the door, appearing in the doorway with a firearm and threatening to kill his former girlfriend.
However, the woman’s current boyfriend retrieved his own gun, and fired at Brown multiple times. Brown retreated to his car, firing a few shots and hitting his ex-girlfriend’s car before leaving. Officers called to the scene easily apprehended the suspect, who was driving slowly around the apartment complex and hitting curbs—and who was discovered to have several gunshot wounds, along with a handgun on the floor of his car. The hospitalized Brown was absentee-booked on two charges of aggravated assault.