Explore The NRA Universe Of Websites

APPEARS IN First Things First
Saturday, April 16, 2016

No Surprise—Under Strict Gun Control, Canada’s Crooks Still Get Guns

Despite Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s calls earlier this year for stricter gun control, including new measures to counter gun smuggling from the U.S., a new report suggests that the majority of guns used in crime in Canada actually come from within the country. 

According to data from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, a full 61 percent—nearly two-thirds—of guns used in crime in British Columbia were domestically sourced. Guns from the U.S. made up a subset of the remaining 39 percent, which included all smuggled guns. The Indo-Canadian Voice found that these figures apply to the other provinces as well. 

While nearly half the crime guns recovered are pistols, law-abiding citizens must go through a complex licensing and training process to obtain one, as handguns are considered “restricted firearms.” It’s already illegal to carry any firearm for self-defense. Why would anyone believe that further restricting the rights of citizens—while criminals continue to obtain firearms despite already-strict laws—is going to help?