Many California residents see Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom’s so-called “Safety for All” ballot initiative (otherwise known as Prop. 63) for exactly what it is—a power grab that would limit the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens. Unfortunately, fundraising efforts in support of this ill-conceived initiative have allowed the initiative’s proponents to amass a war chest that’s nearly 10 times the size of that raised by pro-gun advocates.
According to financial reports filed Monday with the state of California, Newsom’s Safety for All Committee has now raised $3.8 million in support of the initiative, with the California Democratic Party contributing $1.1 million, Newsom’s campaign committee giving $732,000, and former Facebook president Sean Parker adding another $400,000.
In contrast, the two major committees opposing Prop. 63 have only been able to raise about $467,000—much from small contributions of everyday Californians, who have generally donated between $25 and $100 each.
Despite Record Gun Seizures, Chicago Murders Continue At Shocking Pace
The Chicago Police Department reports that 441 people were shot in Chicago in the month of July alone—65 of them fatally.
Chicago’s ABC7 News reports it was the deadliest July in at least five years. Though July murders are down from June (72), they’re up significantly from July of last year (53).
Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson called for legislation to keep repeat gun offenders in jail. Most of the violence is coming from two or three police districts, and 85 percent of the victims were on the CPD Strategic Subjects list. Overall, 2,394 people have been shot in Chicago this year; 381 have died. CPD categorizes 80 percent of these shootings as “gang-related.”
The CPD recovers more guns per capita than any other U.S. police department—it’s seized 5,000 guns so far this year. This stat points to the futility of gun control when it comes to crime, a fact alluded to by Johnson when he said, “Until we hold repeat offenders accountable, we’re going to continue to see this violence.”
Kim Rhode Aims To Put A Positive Face On The Shooting Sports
Kim Rhode’s shot at history starts Friday. That’s when skeet shooting gets underway in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, for the Games of the XXXI Olympiad. If Rhode can claim a spot on the podium, she would become the first Olympic athlete to medal in six consecutive summer games.
If it occurs, Rhode can only hope that her moment won’t be marred by inappropriate questions as it has in the past. After her gold-medal victory at the 2012 London Games, the first question asked of her was, “Can you comment on Aurora?”
Leading up to Rio, the five-time medalist has already had to endure questions about the terrorist attacks in Orlando and San Bernardino. “No other sport in the Olympics gets that,” she points out. And nothing riles up Rhode more than a media who only reports on the negative. "They don't talk about the scholarships that kids are getting or the shooting teams around the country where kids are learning things like discipline, respect and teamwork—things they'll use for the rest of their life."
Good luck in Rio, Kim. Here’s hoping the media takes the opportunity to properly celebrate your shining moment in history.
Michigan Women Flock To Free Shooting Class
While many in the “mainstream” media like to doubt our assertion that women are the fastest-growing segment of gun owners, The Detroit News is likely a believer.
On Tuesday, The News reported that more than 350 women showed up to attend a free gun/shooting class in Taylor, Mich., on Sunday, where each was able to fire 21 rounds of ammunition with an instructor at their side—a class that normally would have cost $40-$80.
Kristina Nixon, a mother and St. Clair Shores real estate agent who attended the class, plans to get her carry permit for safety reasons. “I show houses and I’m by myself. We need to be armed,” Nixon told The News, adding, “Because of terrorism today, I’d rather be armed. If someone pointed a gun at my 7-year-old [in a terrorist attack], I want the chance to save my kid.”
Armed Woman Stops Robber At Arizona Convenience Store
Carol Miracle was at an Arizona Circle K convenience store at 1 a.m. on Monday when a man walked up, put a gun to her head and attempted to rob her. Unfortunately for the would-be robber, Miracle was carrying her own concealed firearm.
Glendale police spokeswoman Officer Tiffany Smith told The Arizona Republic that when Miracle, 23, was approached by the armed assailant, she drew her own gun and shot him in fear for her life. The attacker, 27-year-old Frank Taylor, died at the scene.
After the shooting, Miracle called 911 operators from her home to inform law enforcement about what had taken place. During the investigation, witnesses confirmed Miracle’s story that Taylor attempted to rob her at gunpoint before she fired her gun. The Maricopa County Attorney’s Office is still investigating the incident.