Ratcheting up the hate speech that might have driven a Bernie Sanders supporter to open fire on a GOP congressional baseball practice last week, actor Johnny Depp on Thursday made crass remarks about assassinating President Donald Trump.
“This is going to be in the press, and it will be horrible ...” he said, speaking to a crowd in the United Kingdom. “When was the last time an actor assassinated a President?"
Depp was likely just trying to draw attention to himself, and might have gotten more than he had hoped for. By Friday he apologized for the remark.
The White House responded on Friday. “President Trump has condemned violence in all forms and its sad that others like Johnny Depp have not followed his lead," the White House official statement said. “I hope that some of Mr. Depp's colleagues will speak out against this type of rhetoric as strongly as they would if his comments were directed to a Democrat elected official.”
New Jersey: Gov. Christie Pardons Two Vets For Gun Convictions
New Jersey is a state notoriously hostile to gun owners. Ginny Simone has filed several reports from the Garden State documenting the injustices fought by those caught in the crosshairs of the state’s draconian gun laws.
Thanks to Simone’s work and other attention brought to these cases, Gov. Chris Christie has promised to pardon any law-abiding gun owner ensnared by New Jersey’s onerous gun laws. He’s kept to his word and has pardoned more than a dozen individuals during his tenure, including Brian Fletcher, Steffon Josey-Davis and Shaneen Allen.
The latest pardons came this past week, to two military veterans who were changed with bringing their legally owned firearms into New Jersey, a state that doesn’t recognize permits from any other state. Michael A. Golden, a former Army medic who served in Vietnam and received a Purple Heart, and Marine Corporal James Michael Thaddeus Pedersen both received pardons.
A better solution to this ongoing problem would be not to rely on the governor to right the wrong, but to restore Second Amendment rights to all citizens—whether residents of New Jersey or travelers to the state.
Poll: Most Americans Support NRA Influence
One of the most common yet outrageous claims that you hear from anti-gun pundits is that “most responsible gun owners” oppose the National Rifle Association’s agenda. But a new poll from Pew Research Center yields a resounding demonstration that the organization exists well within the nation’s mainstream.
The Washington Free Beaconhighlights the publication of the Pew poll, which examines attitudes of different demographics toward the NRA’s influence over the nation’s gun laws. Notably, the research reveals that 15 percent of Americans believe the NRA has too little influence, while 40 percent think it has the right amount—a combined total of 55 percent, a clear majority. Out of self-proclaimed NRA members, this combined total is a staggering 91 percent.
The poll also reveals that 19 percent of gun owners identify as members of the NRA, more than those who claim membership in a shooting club/gun range or hunting club. From where we’re sitting, it looks like gun owners—and Americans overall—are quite content with the NRA’s diligent work to safeguard Second Amendment freedoms.
California Homeowner Fatally Shoots Two Armed Intruders
Birch Street is a quiet thoroughfare, where residents sit on the porch at night in stillness. That’s why it was shocking to hear gunfire shatter the silence around 11 p.m. on Wednesday.
Police report a Brentwood man heard someone entering his home at that time. When investigating, he came face-to-face with two armed intruders. A neighbor, Reggie Nichols, told ABC7 what happened next: “They made him open the safe. After he opened the safe, I guess they weren’t ready for him.”
The homeowner managed to grab his gun and fire, and responding officers discovered both suspects dead from their wounds at the scene. Nichols continued, “I think he had the right to do what he did. I've seen him. He was really shook up. I don't think he wanted to do it but he felt like his life was in danger.” Police Lt. Walter O'Grodnick said no charges will be filed as the victim clearly fired in self-defense.