On Tuesday during its annual gathering, the U.S. Conference of Mayors came out against national concealed-carry reciprocity as they announced a resolution opposing House H.R. 38 and Senate S. 446—legislation that would enable law-abiding firearm owners to carry concealed firearms across all state lines.
The mayors group—led by long-time gun control advocates New York City Major Bill de Blasio and Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel—argued that the measures “are completely antithetical to all of the efforts to reduce and prevent gun violence,” reportedPolitico. But Rep. Richard Hudson, author of H.R. 38, took exception to the resolution, stating that it “shows a misunderstanding of the legislation.”
He released his own statement in response. It read in part: “It is unfortunate that this group of mayors has decided to parrot the talking points of anti-Second Amendment crusader Michael Bloomberg who has vowed to spend millions to stop my bill instead of working to uphold the Constitutional right of all Americans. Simply put, this resolution is a bridge too far.”
St. Louis Judge Upholds Gun Ban In Local Zoo
St. Louis Circuit Judge Joan Moriarty has issued a ruling prohibiting open and concealed carry of firearms inside the publicly funded zoo. This has the effect of making the institution’s temporary gun ban permanent.
The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that the judge based her decision on the zoo’s claim to be both an educational institution and a “gated amusement park.”
The ruling is in response to a lawsuit brought against the zoo by Jeffry Smith, an Ohio-based gun rights activist. Smith’s lawyer, Jane Hogan, said they would be appealing the ruling, which interprets state law too broadly. “To say that it’s a school or an amusement park, then any McDonald’s that has a playground would be an amusement park because they have rides and sell food,” she explained. “The legislature has given us no guidance here. When they say ‘amusement park,’ we don’t know what they mean because they use ‘place of amusement’ in other statutes. So we have to assume they mean something different.”
Neighbor With AR-15 Stops Home Invasion In North Carolina
A few minutes past 2 a.m., in a quiet neighborhood in Lewisville, N.C., several men burst through the door of a darkened home. Inside the residence were two men and a woman, and while some of the invaders beat one man, the others ransacked the house. However, during the commotion, one resident managed to contact a neighbor who hurried to help—bringing his AR-15.
The Winston-Salem Journal reports that the neighbor encountered the suspects and fired several shots, one round fatally striking 23-year-old Horace Wayne Vanlue Jr. Responding officers found a gun lying next to Vanlue, as well as items taken from the home. The whereabouts of the other suspects were not disclosed.
While the neighbor handed over his firearm to authorities, Kimya Dennis—assistant professor of sociology and criminal studies at Salem College—says this should fall under North Carolina’s castle doctrine provision. “This means the shooter was defending and protecting the neighbor as well as himself,” Dennis said.
Anti-Gun Activist: Cops Miss Sometimes, So Let’s Disarm Teachers
We reported yesterday on teachers and school staff in Colorado who are receiving firearms training in order to keep their students safe. And predictably, anti-gun organizations in the state have something to say about that.
“In armed confrontations, trained law enforcement hit their target only 20 percent of the time,” Eileen McCarron of Ceasefire Colorado told The Denver Post. “In a crowded classroom, what happens to the remaining 80 percent of the bullets? And how do we expect a nervous, far less-trained individual to perform anything but worse?”
We’re just spitballing here, but teachers who specifically train for this type of scenario aren’t likely to fire indiscriminately into a group of students—and wouldn’t we rather they had a fighting chance in the case of a real emergency? As is typical of the anti-gun set, McCarron completely ignores the deterrent effect of armed school employees and prefers to leave law-abiding citizens helpless against remorseless killers.