If you only watch CNN and read national newspapers like The New York Times, you might think the teenage gun-ban advocates and other anti-gunners who have become overly antagonistic and hateful since the Florida school shooting in February have already won sweeping victories and seen more restrictive gun laws passed throughout the country.
And you’d be wrong.
While so-called “mainstream” media like to cover every tweet from David Hogg and fawn over every statement by Demanding Mom Shannon Watts, such “news” outlets won’t mention the unintended consequences of the new gun control push’s sometimes hateful and divisive emphasis. With Hogg saying adults “don’t know how to use a [expletive] democracy,” and others calling NRA members “terrorists” with “blood on their hands,” those who support the Second Amendment are fed up and pushing back strongly.
One of the unintended consequences you likely won’t hear about from anti-gun national media outlets is the rapid membership growth within the National Rifle Association. Since Hogg and Company have begun pushing the limits of civility in their battle against law-abiding gun owners, NRA membership has jumped to nearly 6 million, an increase of more than a million members since just before the Parkland shooting.
Here are a few more:
• NRA-ILA has seen record donations to its critical lobbying operations;
• After turning its back on law-abiding gun owners, Dick’s Sporting Goods saw sales at existing stores fall twice as much as Wall Street had expected;
• When pressed, Publix cut all political donations, not just those to groups who favor gun rights. In the past, the supermarket chain had also donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to anti-gun politicians;
• In Illinois, there are now more than a dozen counties that have adopted “Second Amendment Sanctuary County” resolutions. Meanwhile, in Oregon they’re starting to push similar referendums in at least two counties.
• Many gun-rights supporters destroyed expensive Yeti coolers when that company abruptly cancelled a program supporting The NRA Foundation and Friends of NRA;
• Countless gun owners swore off ever flying Delta Air Lines again, a move that will almost certainly hurt the airline’s bottom line in the future;
• President Donald Trump and Vice President Mike Pence both visited the NRA Annual Meetings & Exhibits in Dallas to assure members that the Trump administration firmly stands on the side of the Second Amendment.
Here’s the moral of the story: Don’t listen to “mainstream” media for your news about guns and the Second Amendment. They’ll only tell you what they want you to hear—and it will seldom be positive toward guns and gun owners.