The North Carolina Senate passed House Bill 562 late Monday in a bipartisan vote of 40-9. The omnibus legislation now heads to Gov. Pat McCrory for signing.
While the bill was stripped of some of its original provisions, it still provides some important and much-needed pro-gun reforms. These include:
- More standardization in approving concealed handgun and pistol purchase permits;
- Expanded campus carry that allows guns in school parking lots;
- 15-day window for Chief Law Enforcement Officer approvals on National Firearms Act items;
- Shooting range protections;
- Strengthened state preemption laws; and
- Removal of restrictions against short-barreled rifles for hunting.
The NRA supported this final measure and is urging Gov. McCrory to sign it into law. The governor has already signed other pro-gun legislation this session.
Use Your Power!
If you live in North Carolina, please contact the governor and express your support for HB 562. Consult NRA-ILA’s “Write Your Lawmakers” online tool here.