Trump’s Second 100 Days and the Second Amendment

by
posted on May 1, 2025
** When you buy products through the links on our site, we may earn a commission that supports NRA's mission to protect, preserve and defend the Second Amendment. **
Donald Trump
(Gage Skidmore via Flickr)

The first 100 days of any presidential administration are widely regarded as a bellwether for what’s to come. As President Donald Trump’s (R) first 100 days of his second administration have now come and gone, it’s worth taking a look at what he has done in defense of the Second Amendment thus far.

First, the president signed an executive order just weeks into his second term that promised to further safeguard the Second Amendment. With it, President Trump directed Attorney General Pam Bondi to “examine all orders, regulations, guidance, plans, international agreements, and other actions of executive departments and agencies to assess any ongoing infringements of the Second Amendment rights of our citizens, and present a proposed plan of action to the President, through the Domestic Policy Advisor, to protect the Second Amendment rights of all Americans.”

Perhaps the largest challenge Trump faced was undoing many of former President Joe Biden’s (D) disastrous policies and moves against the law-abiding gun owners, manufacturers, gun stores and the Second Amendment.

Thankfully, Trump has wasted no time on this front.

The Trump administration effectively shuttered the White House Office of Gun Violence Prevention, a partisan office created by Biden that employed gun-control advocates. In contrast, Trump has created a Second Amendment Task Force, led by Attorney General Pam Bondi. “The newly assigned duties of this DOJ task force will help bolster NRA’s ongoing efforts that are similarly working to execute strategies, litigation, and robust policy to protect and promote Second Amendment rights nationwide,” reported the NRA Institute for Legislative Action (ILA).

Since then, the Trump administration has worked to undo even more of the prior administration’s anti-Second Amendment moves. Trump’s Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) promptly removed former Surgeon General Vivek Murthy’s declaration of “gun violence” as a public-health crisis.

“Illegal violence of any sort is a crime issue, and as he again made clear during his recent speech at the Department of Justice, President Trump is committed to Making America Safe Again by empowering law enforcement to uphold law and order,” a White House official said in a statement about the change.

Not long after this development, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), under Trump, revoked the Biden administration’s “zero-tolerance” policy for federal firearms licensees (FFL). “As of April 7, 2025, the Enhanced Regulatory Enforcement Policy, aka the Zero Tolerance Policy, was repealed, and Industry Operations inspections will no longer be held to these previously set guidelines. This page has been removed to comply with this new policy change,” read an update from the ATF.

“Targeting lawful firearms dealers over minor clerical errors was a direct attack on the firearms industry and commerce protected by the Constitution. This reversal is another example of the Trump administration’s commitment to protecting and strengthening the Second Amendment rights of peaceable Americans,” said John Commerford, NRA-ILA executive director, of the change.

Most recently, Trump expressed his gratitude for the NRA and its members at the 2025 NRA Annual Meetings & Exhibits in Atlanta, Ga. “With me in the White House, your sacred rights will not be infringed. Thank you once again to everyone at the NRA, thank you for your incredible support over the years. You’ve always endorsed me, and I’ve always come through for you. Have a great event. Thank you,” said Trump in a video recorded for the event.

It’s also worth noting that before Trump even took office, Steve Dettelbach, a known proponent of gun control who was nominated to run the agency by Biden, resigned as the head of the ATF. This was likely in anticipation of being fired by Trump, who had promised from the campaign trail to protect the Second Amendment.

“I stand before you with a simple promise; your Second Amendment will always be safe with me as your president. When I’m back in the Oval Office, no one will lay a finger on your firearms,” said Trump at the 2024 NRA Great American Outdoor Show in Harrisburg, Pa.

The president’s actions in his first 100 days signal good things to come for the Second Amendment and law-abiding Americans. This is clear proof that elections matter and it is imperative to get candidates who respect American freedom into office.

Latest

17-aff_main_mediacrimereport.jpg
17-aff_main_mediacrimereport.jpg

Another Example of What Actual Free Speech Does for the Second Amendment

This is the sort of truth bombing X can now give us—thanks to Elon Musk’s purchase of the social-media site—if we are discerning about who we follow and take the time to be cautious about what we believe.

Hawaii Wants to Go Further Than Mere “Aloha Spirit” in Defiance of Citizens’ Rights

Within weeks of the U.S. Supreme Court’s hearing oral arguments in Wolford v. Lopez, Hawaii lawmakers are moving on legislation to find other ways to keep citizens’ Second Amendment rights effectively off-limits.

The DOJ Civil Rights Division Strikes Again

In a poignant rebuke of the Massachusetts handgun roster, the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) Civil Rights Division submitted an amicus brief to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit in the case Granata v. Campbell.

Armed Citizen Interview: NYC Homeowner

Moshe Borukh heard glass breaking downstairs in his Jamaica Estates home in Queens, N.Y., around 2:40 a.m. Borukh grabbed his pistol and investigated. He soon discovered that a man was inside his home.

Why Did This NFL Offensive Tackle Get Arrested in NYC?

Rasheed Walker thought he was following the law when he declared he had an unloaded Glock 9 mm pistol in a locked case to a Delta Air Lines employee at LaGuardia Airport in New York City on January 23.

The NRA Weighs in on “Unlawful Users”

With the U.S. Supreme Court scheduled to hear United States v. Hemani on March 2, the NRA, along with the Independence Institute and FPC Action Foundation, filed an amicus brief

Interests



Get the best of America's 1st Freedom delivered to your inbox.