What the White House Said of Constitutional Carry’s Expansion

by
posted on April 8, 2023
** When you buy products through the links on our site, we may earn a commission that supports NRA's mission to protect, preserve and defend the Second Amendment. **
Karine Jean-Pierre
Lenin Nolly/AP

More than half of our nation’s states have some form of constitutional carry on the books now that Florida has also gotten bureaucrats out of the way of this constitutionally protected freedom. While those who understand and support our constitutional rights welcome this news, the White House had some other thoughts.

White House Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre called Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis’ (R) signing of the state’s constitutional-carry bill “shameful,” and said it was the “opposite of commonsense gun safety” in a statement.

She also said that DeSantis “signed into law a permitless concealed-carry bill behind closed doors, which eliminates the need to get a license to carry a concealed weapon.”

It’s true, this bill does eliminate the need for a permit to exercise a constitutional right, just as it is also true that every purchase of a firearm from a federal firearms licensee (FFL) requires a background check via the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS). Those prohibited from owning a firearm, including convicted felons and more, are still unable to do so lawfully, just as they are unable to lawfully carry one concealed.

Moreover, to say this was signed “behind closed doors” implies that DeSantis did so secretly, and without support from the legislature, which is simply not true. The Florida House of Representatives and Senate both voted in favor of sending this bill to the governor’s desk by votes of 76-32 and 27-13, respectively, after the legislation had undergone lengthy public debate; debate that was covered at great length by virtually every Florida media outlet, as well as many nationally. DeSantis’ signing of the bill was made during an official signing ceremony, with many in attendance, including NRA representatives.

The statement finished with Jean-Pierre repeating President Joe Biden’s (D) oft-stated laundry list of gun-control proposals. “The President continues to call on Congress to ban assault weapons and high capacity magazines, require safe storage of firearms, eliminate gun manufacturers’ immunity from liability and require background checks for all gun sales, and for state officials to take action at the state level,” said Jean-Pierre.

This is far from the sitting press secretary’s first time stating outright falsehoods about firearms and our Second Amendment rights.

Just prior to last year’s midterm elections, Jean-Pierre said, “Gun violence in this country is an epidemic that will not end with thoughts and prayers alone. President Biden will continue to do everything in his power to reduce gun violence, including by calling on Congress to increase community violence intervention funding, ensure universal background checks, and send legislation to his desk banning assault weapons and high-capacity magazines.”

America’s 1st Freedom broke down just how inaccurate this statement was at the time.

And it should come as no surprise that Jean-Pierre’s predecessor, Jen Psaki, held a similar animus towards your rights during her tenure in the White House.

Psaki also repeated Biden’s gun-control desires, attempted to censor pro-Second Amendment posts online, blamed the law-abiding for the actions of criminals, went after firearms manufacturers, and attacked the NRA. In short, Jean-Pierre is more of the same.

Latest

17-aff_main_mediacrimereport.jpg
17-aff_main_mediacrimereport.jpg

Another Example of What Actual Free Speech Does for the Second Amendment

This is the sort of truth bombing X can now give us—thanks to Elon Musk’s purchase of the social-media site—if we are discerning about who we follow and take the time to be cautious about what we believe.

Hawaii Wants to Go Further Than Mere “Aloha Spirit” in Defiance of Citizens’ Rights

Within weeks of the U.S. Supreme Court’s hearing oral arguments in Wolford v. Lopez, Hawaii lawmakers are moving on legislation to find other ways to keep citizens’ Second Amendment rights effectively off-limits.

The DOJ Civil Rights Division Strikes Again

In a poignant rebuke of the Massachusetts handgun roster, the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) Civil Rights Division submitted an amicus brief to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit in the case Granata v. Campbell.

Armed Citizen Interview: NYC Homeowner

Moshe Borukh heard glass breaking downstairs in his Jamaica Estates home in Queens, N.Y., around 2:40 a.m. Borukh grabbed his pistol and investigated. He soon discovered that a man was inside his home.

Why Did This NFL Offensive Tackle Get Arrested in NYC?

Rasheed Walker thought he was following the law when he declared he had an unloaded Glock 9 mm pistol in a locked case to a Delta Air Lines employee at LaGuardia Airport in New York City on January 23.

The NRA Weighs in on “Unlawful Users”

With the U.S. Supreme Court scheduled to hear United States v. Hemani on March 2, the NRA, along with the Independence Institute and FPC Action Foundation, filed an amicus brief

Interests



Get the best of America's 1st Freedom delivered to your inbox.