A new measure introduced last week in the U.S. Congress would do away with all federal regulations on firearm suppressors, treating them like other firearm accessories.
S.B. 1505, backed by Sen. Mike Lee, R-Utah, Sen. Mike Crapo, R-Idaho, and Rep. Steve King, R-Iowa, goes further than the Hearing Protection Act currently under consideration, which would remove suppressors from National Firearms Act requirements.
“Suppressors can make shooting safer for the millions of hunters and sportsmen that exercise their constitutional right to use firearms every year,” Lee said in a released statement. “The current process for obtaining a suppressor is far too expensive and burdensome. Our bill would remove these unnecessary federal regulations and make it easier for firearms users to protect themselves.”
The Senate measure will be considered in the Finance Committee, and the House version will be considered in both the Ways and Means and Judiciary committees.
Harvey Lembo Will Not Be Charged For Shooting Home Invader
A retired lobsterman from Rockland, Maine, will not be facing criminal charges, according to a statement made by District Attorney Jonathan Liberman and reported in the Portland Press Herald. Harvey Lembo, who is disabled, used a pistol he had purchased only hours earlier to wound home invader Christopher Wildhaber in 2015.
We covered extensively the legal fallout from the shooting. Lembo’s apartment complex banned firearms, leading eventually to a new state law safeguarding Second Amendment rights for residents of subsidized housing. Consequently, Lembo was able to stay in his apartment.
The previous district attorney had stated that he had not ruled out the possibility of charging Lembo for shooting the man who broke into his home. “Mr. Lembo never felt he did anything wrong defending himself,” said David Weyrens, Lembo’s attorney. “He is grateful that District Attorney Liberman came to the same conclusion.”
Chicago Violence Spikes Over 4th Of July Weekend
There wasn’t much to celebrate in Chicago after the city recorded 102 people shot—15 fatally—over the Fourth of July weekend. Most of the shootings occurred on Monday, Independence Day eve, and took place on the south and west sides of the city.
“It’s perplexing,” Chicago Police Department spokesman Anthony Guglielmi told the Chicago Tribune. "We deployed some very successful tactics over the Memorial Day weekend. Yet those same tactics did not seem to work as well over the Fourth holiday.”
The staggering numbers come despite more than 1,300 extra officers deployed during the four-day weekend. Alcohol likely played a role in some of the shootings, and police also attributed some of the violence to Chicagoland gangs. As Gugliemi noted, “We have to change the underlying culture.”
Indianapolis Firefighter Shoots Neighbor In Self-Defense
The Hatfields and McCoys have nothing on the Weigles and Kellers. The two neighbors have feuded for years, according to the Johnson County Sheriff’s Office. And their last dispute on June 27 ended in gunfire.
The showdown was captured on Dean Keller’s security camera, which shows 59-year-old Jeffrey Weigle walking to a fence line and yelling demeaning remarks at Keller and his wife. Keller, 49, returns the insult as Weigle rides off on a lawn mower. Seconds later, Weigle backs up the mower and pulls a handgun. Keller then fires several shots, which hit Weigle before he begins returning fire. The video ends with Weigle walking away.
“Given the aggression shown by Weigle, it was reasonable for Keller to believe deadly force was necessary,” said Johnson County Prosecutor Brad Cooper. No charges will be filed against Keller, who has argued with Weigle since 2009 over a variety of issues. Keller was uninjured, and the police report stated that Weigle suffered a chest wound.