With Revenue Falling, Dick’s Sporting Goods to Remove Hunting Guns from 125 Stores

by
posted on March 14, 2019
** When you buy products through the links on our site, we may earn a commission that supports NRA's mission to protect, preserve and defend the Second Amendment. **
dicks.jpg

Just announcing the removal of firearms from 125 stores, Dick’s Sporting Goods continues to pursue anti-gun policies that have drawn criticism from customers and employees.

In August, the store will begin to remove hunting gear from the stories, said its CEO Edward W. Stack, who blamed poor sales as the cause.

Stack, whose father founded the company, has taken an anti-gun position. And, the use of his political views to dictate the company’s business has resulted in people turning against Dick’s Sporting Goods.

Since then, Dick’s revenue dropped 2 percent in 2018 to $8.4 billion—which Stack says is due to less firearm sales.

In early March, the company “posted another quarter of falling profit, sales and same-store sales.”

Could that be because the company has alienated its customer base of law-abiding gun owners who value their Second Amendment freedoms? Could some previous customers be boycotting the store?

“I’ll never shop there again. They’ll never get another dime from me,” said Jody Salerno, of Elite Firearms & Training, near Pittsburgh.

One 20-year-old man, who enjoyed talking to customers about hunting and fishing, not only walked away from his job at Dick's but is boycotting the store and refusing to buy anything there.

He is numbered among several employees who quit working for Dick’s Sporting Goods due to its recent alignment of the CEO’s political view with business. In December, 62 people turned in their notice and quit work at Dick's due to its policy to ban some firearms and raise the gun-buying age to 21.

Last year, Dick’s was expelled in a unanimous vote by the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) —the trade association for the firearms industry—for “conduct detrimental” to the NSSF.

Latest

17-aff_main_mediacrimereport.jpg
17-aff_main_mediacrimereport.jpg

Another Example of What Actual Free Speech Does for the Second Amendment

This is the sort of truth bombing X can now give us—thanks to Elon Musk’s purchase of the social-media site—if we are discerning about who we follow and take the time to be cautious about what we believe.

Hawaii Wants to Go Further Than Mere “Aloha Spirit” in Defiance of Citizens’ Rights

Within weeks of the U.S. Supreme Court’s hearing oral arguments in Wolford v. Lopez, Hawaii lawmakers are moving on legislation to find other ways to keep citizens’ Second Amendment rights effectively off-limits.

The DOJ Civil Rights Division Strikes Again

In a poignant rebuke of the Massachusetts handgun roster, the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) Civil Rights Division submitted an amicus brief to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit in the case Granata v. Campbell.

Armed Citizen Interview: NYC Homeowner

Moshe Borukh heard glass breaking downstairs in his Jamaica Estates home in Queens, N.Y., around 2:40 a.m. Borukh grabbed his pistol and investigated. He soon discovered that a man was inside his home.

Why Did This NFL Offensive Tackle Get Arrested in NYC?

Rasheed Walker thought he was following the law when he declared he had an unloaded Glock 9 mm pistol in a locked case to a Delta Air Lines employee at LaGuardia Airport in New York City on January 23.

The NRA Weighs in on “Unlawful Users”

With the U.S. Supreme Court scheduled to hear United States v. Hemani on March 2, the NRA, along with the Independence Institute and FPC Action Foundation, filed an amicus brief

Interests



Get the best of America's 1st Freedom delivered to your inbox.